Friday 10 January 2014

The Day Jesus Came into my Life: Part 2


* Scroll down to see Part 1 first (otherwise this will make no sense..)

In a trance like state I took a seat as near to the elderly gentleman as I could. “You can’t just get on a bus without paying” shouted the cantankerous bus driver. “Im sorry”, I said. “I don’t know where I’m going”. I looked at the kind man who said “you’re getting off at the next stop”. Having paid, I sat down in silence adjacent to my good Smaratin & after a few moments said, “You do know where I’m going”? He nodded sagely. “You know it’s an hour & a half round trip for you”? He nodded again before phoning his wife & asking her to take the car out of the garage. He proffered no explanation. It’s as if she was expecting me too.

We took the short walk from the bus stop to Mike’s house where I briefly met his wife. I started to explain my predicament & how Mike had saved the day but she just smiled serenely as though she was in on the whole thing. Once in the car & on our way, after thanking Mike for the umpteenth time, I said, “I know this may sound odd, but it feels like you & your wife were somehow expecting me? To which he replied, with a mischievous grin & a twinkle in his eye, “We were!”.

Mike explained that he & his wife, who are devout Christians, prayed over breakfast that morning & asked God/Jesus to send someone into their lives to help today. He said when I got on the bus in need of help, he knew it was me. Even I, a non Christian, was struck by the serendipitous sequence of events that led to our chance encounter. Mike wasn’t having any of it. It was meant to be. I agreed but whereas Mike believed it was the work of god, I believe it was fate. A spiritual, as opposed to religious, destiny. I promised I would at least think about the significance of this & I certainly have. Although Mike will no doubt be disappointed that I didn’t convert to Christianity, I was touched by his humanity & unconditional kindness.

Mike was a retired police officer from London. He became a Christian during the war and has remained devoted ever since. He & his wife have always reserved a bed in their home, “the lord’s bed”, for anyone who might need it. He told me tales of working the beat in Brixton, years ago, & coming across young girls abandoned at train stations & of others who took a wrong turn in life & ended up sleeping rough. With 2 small daughters of his own, Mike, wherever possible, would offer these young women some food & a bed in his family home until social services could either contact their family or find a more long term solution.

I asked if Mike ever worried for the safety of his children, taking random strangers into their house. He admitted that his job served as a useful deterrent, “Who’s going to rob a copper”?

“Weren’t you concerned about allegations, I mean, being accused of…”, I was struggling with this one. “Was it allowed, back then, for police officers to offer stranded girls beds for the night”? It wasn’t, & still isn’t allowed, but he risked his job for the well being of others “in the lord’s name”.

I’m glad it’s not allowed. I’ve worked in child protection so I know how easily less scrupulous colleagues could abuse their position of power to exploit vulnerable young girls and boys. At the same time I’m glad that people like Mike exist. People who are prepared to risk their jobs, reputations & their lives for the wellbeing of others.

Mike, for me, is the personification of Jesus. He lives & breathes his faith & I admire & respect that, as I would any individual who has a moral compass, irrespective of religion, even though it’s pointing in the opposite direction to mine. The problem is, I know lots of Christians who aren’t like Mike. People who go to church yet concomitantly worship at the alter of hate, avarice & prejudice. If more so called Christians did embody their faith, in the way that Mike & his wife do, I might be tempted. In reality, he’s one in a million & I had the privilege of meeting him.

He has made me take stock of my life & how much (or little) time I make for others. Yes, I’ve always got a smile for strangers, will help the person struggling with their pram up the steps & I volunteer some time to human rights campaigns, but there’s lots more I can, & should, do. There are things I’ve started to do since meeting Mike which, I hope, would make him feel that his time, energy & kindness wasn’t wasted on me. Under the radar things that are between me & the individuals concerned. Giving the time of day, to complete strangers, for the sake of it, is the most precious gift you can give. Mike, reminded me of that.

Contributing to food banks, if possible, helps but there are lots of things we can do that cost nothing. A kind word & a helping hand can go a long way in a world where we’ve become increasingly hardened & indifferent to the plight of others.

As for the stand off with my 6 year old (outside the food bank on Christmas Eve), I persuaded him to part with the coveted toy. When I say “persuaded”, I bribed him with sausage & chips in the local pub. What? I never claimed to be a perfect parent.

No comments: