Tuesday 8 November 2016

Trump has already made the world a lesser place

"You can't vote for Trump!" protested my 8 year old in response to his friends expressed wish to do just that. "Why not?" she retorted. Having explained that you have to live in America, he added, "...and anyway he hates girls and foreigners, which basically means, he hates you". Outraged, the 8 year old girl said she definitely wouldn't vote for Trump, even if she lived in America (& was old enough...).

They agreed that there was no danger of him becoming president though, followed by a joint, "phew". Why not? I asked them. "Who would vote for someone who hates girls and foreigners," replied my 8 year old, rolling his eyes with an implied "duh".

I hope they're right, but then I never thought I'd wake up to a Brexit Britain. If xenophobia and hatred can win here, anything can happen.

Who knows what kind of hell awaits us in the morning...

No comments: